As you know, hurricanes are no stranger to South Florida and this upcoming hurricane season is expected to be one of the worst in recent years with an approximately 18 storms predicted. When a tropical storm or hurricane hits, they not only cause severe devastation and destruction to our homes but also have catastrophic effects towards the economy and local businesses. In order to prepare yourself and your business for a severe storm you should familiarize yourself with the following preparedness tips:
- Invest in a preparedness program for your business that will maintain resources, implement roles and responsibilities and allow your business to stay up-to-date when a hurricane occurs.
- Protect the organizations image, brand and reputation.
- Protect the health and safety of your employees by creating an evacuation route that protects from all hazards such as glass windows.
- Establish a controlled area for anything that can cause supplementary damage/hazard to the workplace.
- Plan for the worst; plan as if all threats and hazards are a possibility so that you are prepared for the worst.
- A crisis communications plan should be installed within your business that establishes a means of communication with employees, customers, the news media and stakeholders.
- A continuity plan should be implemented to establish recovery techniques to overcome the interference of the storm and it’s damage.
- An IT plan should be inserted that continues connectivity within the business to support the central hardware.
- While preparing for a storm, define responsibilities and roles that employees should undertake before, during and after an incident.
- Train your preparedness program so that it can be effective in times of catastrophe. Practice procedures and individual performances.
Protecting our homes and families is OK Generators number one concern, but it is vital to remember these tips to assure the safety of your business.